Monday 24 September 2012

job hunt

I'm staring at the air conditioning vents and i see the wisps of vapor snaking out. Its supposed to be cold, very cold but i can feel beads of sweat trickling down my back and soaking into my shirt. My palms are clammy and my hands tremble as i constantly straighten every crease on my skirt, like the smoothness of it is supposed to contribute to the overall grading.

I am praying that nothing more would go wrong,I had already pulled a rather interesting entrance when came in for the interview. I took an okada to the venue of the interview and i was in such a rush to make it early that i overpaid the man and ran into the premises with his helmet securely strapped to my head!
At first,I did not understand why the female interviewer had mirth dancing in her eyes,man in suit beside her didin't ask any questions but he struggled to keep a serious composure,i kept asking myself, am i speaking proper English? Am i so tense that i sound correct to my own ears but i'm actually making blunders ? It wasn't until i was on my way out that i caught a reflection of myself on the silver doorknob. For about ten seconds my hand hung midway as i suddenly understood the reason for their trying-so-hard- to-be-serious faces, i did look ridiculous.
Anyway, i have done the interview and here i am waiting for the verdict. My eyes go up once again and i look at the gold plate on the big polished wooden door that read;Boardroom.
Suddenly a loud ring went off on the secretary's table. It was her intercom. ''Yes sir, i'll tell her''.She says when she picked the phone. She lifts up her head and looks at me. At that moment, my heart slams so hard in my chest that i whimper. I have an intense and almost irresistable urge to use the convenience.
"Please you may now go in'' she says to me with a smile. I try to use my legs as i pushed my body weight on them. My knees wobble and i suddenly wish i had come in more sensible shoes. I take shaky steps towards the door with the gold plate that read Boardroom and i hold the door handle. Deep breaths i tell myself. I hear that it helps to count and take deep breaths..so i count ''1(deep breath)..2..(deep breath) then i turned the door knob and stand face to face with fifteen very distinguished and intimidating looking board members. ‘Miss Abodurin have a seat’, a burly man in an expensive looking suit says………… ....

No comments:

Post a Comment